Sunday, November 19, 2006

I'll make a tourniquet out of my shirt, you needn't do much just sit there and flirt (and if it looks drizzly I'lll build us a yurt.)

This is a touch diff from the usual pop we send your way, but if you're a fan of the Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events, or your children are, then these songs should be a kick in the shorts. Stephen Merritt of the Magnetic Fields' and other "bands" that mostly consist of just him, originally did some music for the audio versions of the Unfortunate books. He and Daniel Handler, aka Lemony Snicket, are friends apparently. They've culled some of those songs and created a few new ones for this new Nonesuch release: The Tragic Treasury.

I love these books because they're over the top fun and they're written rather well. They really set the mind on fire, the imagination a whirl. I already loved Handler though, before these hit-- his first book, The Basic Eight, is one of my all-time favorite YA books.

And the songs? Gloomy goofs with hilarious lyrics a la Snicket. Think: super dark and scary carnival scenario where kids go in and don't come out. Does my kid wanna listen to them? No way. But if you've got a gloomy pre-teen looming round the house, these may get them a giggling, albeit when you're not looking.

The Gothic Archies, "Walking My Gargoyle"(from The Carnivorous Carnival)
The Gothic Archies,
"Shipwrecked" (from The End)

Listen to more. Buy the The Gothic Archies CD.

0 comments: