Saturday, November 11, 2006

Greensleeves

I love synchronicity! No, not the Police album (which I do love, but that's not the point)... Last week I was thinking about what I could post here when the new Linus of Hollywood CD, Triangle, arrived in the mail from NotLame, my go-to site for the best power pop CDs.

The very same day, during my son's history lesson (we homeschool) we studied music of the Renaissance, specifically the English folk song Greensleeves. We listened to versions by The Boston Pops, The King's Singers, and Loreena McKennitt.

So, I figured I could write a post about a modern-day pop craftsman from Los Angeles, or a 500-year-old traditional tune that may have been written by King Henry VIII.

First thing I did that evening was sit down at the computer to listen to Linus of Hollywood's 2001 CD, Let Yourself Be Happy, an amalgamation of The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and Harry Nilsson.

As the first track started playing, it took me about 30 seconds to think, "Oh wow, I've got Greensleeves on the brain." As the song progressed, I realized it wasn't my mind playing tricks. Linus used the Greensleeves melody in the song Building A Ship.

And that's why you're getting both songs today. First, my favorite version of Greensleeves, a traditional orchestral rendition by The Boston Pops, adapted by Ralph Vaughan Williams and conducted by John Williams:

The Boston Pops Orchestra - "Fantasia On Greensleeves"

And, from Linus of Hollywood, that Greensleeves-inspired song, plus a second track off a brilliant disc of sunshine pop that is good for all ages:

Linus of Hollywood - "Building A Ship"
Linus of Hollywood - "A Whole New Country"

- Phil

Buy The Boston Pops' Pops In Love CD here at Amazon.
Buy Linus of Hollywood's Let Yourself Be Happy CD here at Amazon.

1 comments:

deb in sf said...

Wow! I just got home from a show of the folkiest folk music. One duo was a very Dylan-ish songwriter with a guitar accompanied by a rad fiddle player - tres 60's. And here you go with the MOST 70's pop ever. It's very bah, bah, bah, sunshine-day goodness. I'm so back in the olden days! You're always good for something I've never heard, Phil. So dig it. Thank you.