Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Spooky Music, Round Two


First up, spooky sounds. I love interjecting the mixed CD with these hilarious bits o' drama, one after each "real" song. Some of these are super nostalgic for me, they're that old. And some are wav. format, but you can import them into iTunes no problem.

"She's Alive"
"Dracula's Been Expecting You"
"The Haunted Mansion" (a collection of classic sound effects)
"Thunderstorms"
"Yo Ho Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me"

Onward. Frankie Stein and His Ghouls was a concocted studio band in the 60s that made a muncha buncha records that were basically guitar driven dance music of the day, intermixed with some yelps and sound effects. They're classic and if you're old enough, you surely will have at least a faint memory of the covers or the sounds. The covers were very Rat Fink-esque, only with Halloween monsters instead of giant hot rodding rats. That's one of them up in the corner. I love how it says "The Ideal Party Record" on it! These are from vinyl records, complete with pops and cracks. They add to the ambience, no?

Frankie Stein and His Ghouls, "Be Careful, It's My Throat"
Frankie Stein and His Ghouls, "The Creep"
Frankie Stein and His Ghouls, "Weerdo The Wolf"
Frankie Stein and His Ghouls, "Knives & Lovers"

The following is just plain ol' fashion good spooky organ music, old and crackly.

"Spooky Organ Music"


And lastly, it's the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown! From the original album, so yep, it's also filled with pops. I love it because this is how we listened to this record back in the day. Such a fogey am I. I don't believe this is available on CD, but I could be wrong.

It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
(Part One)
It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (Part Two)

All this fabulous music comes from Scar Stuff, a terrific blog about spooky music. There is so much more there, it's amazing and just a little overwhelming.

Part Three of my spooky series will not dip into Scar Stuff's deep pockets any more. I've got more recent stuff to share. Soon...

Oh and did you see, Ahmet Zappa is pairing up with the Henson children to produce a live action version of Fraggle Rock as a movie? Wha?

3 comments:

deb in sf said...

Wow, Clea. How much do you rock? So much!

Max's school had movie night a couple of weeks ago and we all sat outside with blankets and ate pizza and popcorn with sleeping bags and watched the great pumpkin on the athletic field. It was so sweet and fun! There are some hilarious lines in the movie that I didn't remember, since I hadn't seen it as an adult. Max is going to love listening to it again, I think.

With the addition of those spooky inbetweens and the organ, this will definitely be getting spooky enough for him. I love those screams and howls on the otherwise perfectly tame 60's surf music! Awesome!

Tim Young said...

How can you not be submitting something for next week's Halloween themed podcast! :)

Pigeon Racing said...

Wow, a modern Zappa and Henson creative collaboration. That's gonna be crazy. I grew up with Fraggle Rock. It was one of my favorite things to watch as a kid.