Thursday, August 03, 2006

My College Years

A couple of tunes from the days of giant super big gulps, oversized clothes and sleeping in. Camper Van Beethoven had a bunch of tunes that are ripe for the little ones. I've chosen just two today, off of "Telephone Free Landslide Victory," because that's where the hits were, kids. And then, the "Cheesecake Truck" used to just kill me, from King Missle. It's off the same LP as their "hit": "Jesus Was Way Cool." Regarding the latter, an arguement could be made that it's a pro-religious song, just putting the love for Jesus into terms the youngin's can relate to. Of course there is that whole thing about turning wheat into marijuana or sugar into cocaine. So, yeah, that's probably not for your kids, unless you're really REALLY open with that sort of thing. So I've just posted it here for your listening pleasure. Use at your discretion.

Camper Van Beethoven, "Take the Skinheads Bowling"
Camper Van Beethoven,
"The Day That Lassie Went to the Moon"
King Missle,
"Cheesecake Truck"
King Missle,
"Jesus Was Way Cool"

Also, I wanted to mention I got a CD from the guys known as The Hipwaders. They're awfully nice blokes, out of the Bay Area (hey, if anyone is thinking of doing some sort of Lollapalooza for the kids in SF, I think you got the bands to do it.) The CD is family music, aimed squarely at entertaining the kids. Ideal tunes for summer Sunday afternoon BBQs in the back yard with friends and family, i.e. it's sugar coco pop. I'm throwing a tune up here for you to hear, or check out their website.

The Hipwaders, "Twitchy"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add Chris Molla from the old Camper Van B. days to the list of SFers. He does music classes for the littles and plays with Enzo Garcia from time to time.

Tim said...

what a great post! This made me dig out my CVB to see what I could let my daughter listen to. She's only 2 months old, but it's never too soon to start. I can imagine little ones enjoying "Tina", that's for sure. :)