Monday, April 03, 2006

Drums are good too.

Three random songs today that my kid enjoys, all generally enjoyable as well.

What is it that makes a child, or even more specifically my child enjoy one song over another? I haven't entirely figured that out, whenever I think I have, she surprises me. She definitely loves female singers singing prettily because it reminds her of princesses and ponies somehow. (She is four, still very much in the Disney Princess stage alas.) She likes songs that she can sing along to. She likes songs with hard beats and shout outs. She likes songs with silly phrases and goofy lyrics and it's even better when its repetitive. But those ingredients don't always make for great fun as far as she's concerned. And sometimes I can't figure out what she sees in a song at all. How about your children? Do you see a clear connection between song structure and response?

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, "Bim Bom"
Talking Heads, "And She Was"
Le Tigre, "Hot Topic"

More on the artists: Le Tigre, Sergio Mendes, Talking Heads
The latest Sergio Mendes CD, Timeless, is out and the tracks I've heard are fabulous. Lots of wonderful guests. You can download it at eMusic.

I appreciate all your suggestions and emails. In fact, I love it. Thanks for making me feel swell.

1 comments:

About Health Blog said...

She definitely loves female singers singing prettily
because it reminds her of princesses and ponies somehow.