Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Spare the Rock, Spoil The Child

That's the name of a podcast and blog featuring ... kids' music. And not the Wiggles. The radio show is hosted by Bill and his daughter Ella (who is in first grade) and it's a hoot. Bill posts his playlists too, so you (and ok, me) can get some cool ideas for more, more, more music. Bill features a lot of the artists who have traditional 'adult' bands (for lack of a betta word) by night and kid rock bands by day. So to his site, where you can sign up for the ol' podcast and even hear MP3s of previous shows:

Spare The Rock: The Radio Show

There were two songs from his New Years' Eve show that I liked especially. One is so hokey with a capital H, a true "kids" song, but it's the kind of song my daughter will squeal over. Do I wanna hear it over and over and over... no. But every now and again you give in just to see that certain smile. The song, a Q&A ditty, is by Billy Jonas and it is called "What Kind of Cat Are You?" Within two listens I guarantee she will be hollering "Cataclysm" back at the stereo.

The other song that I heard on the show was Spoon's "Fitted Shirt." I like Spoon a lot and I'd heard this song before, but not in this context, so here it is. It reminded me of a song (in content, not in style) from my hammock-swinging, hippy-dippy childhood by Donovan called "I Love My Shirt." And so, here you go:

Billy Jonas, "What Kind of Cat Are You?"
Spoon, "Fitted Shirt"

Donovan, "I Love My Shirt"

Tomorrow... Saint Etienne....

1 comments:

Medicine said...

Bill posts his playlists too, so you can
get some cool ideas for more, more, more music.