Monday, March 27, 2006

I am the Greatest!

No, not me, uh him. Ali. You may have thought I'd taken the easy road with that last Beatles post and you may be right but holler if I didn't redeem myself with this nice little nugget. My daughter loves this first song and yes, it's hilarious and hilariously wrong for her to be singing along (she knows all the lyrics) and she has been known to whip this one out at perhaps inappropriate times but who cares, that's what kids are for (or one of the many reasons at least.) There are a lot of songs about Muhammad Ali (as proof check out this bitchin CD) but Johnny Wakelin's is my favorite. Wakelin had another Ali hit in the UK called "In Zaire." But I don't have that one here. This one is just so over the top. In addition to this fabulous track I give you Muhammad Ali's "theme song" which showed up on many albums, including Ali vs. Tooth Decay, a small slice of seventies-era insanity that pits the fighter against yes, gingivitus, and includes the guesting vocals of Richie Havens, Frank Sinatra and Howard Cosell. Don't believe me? See for yourself, below.

Johnny Wakelin, "Black Superman"
Muhammad Ali, "The Greatest"
Muhammad Ali & Frank Sinatra, "Ice Cream is Evil"

Now this is kids' music people.

2 comments:

Oldman said...

Hi! grat to c black superman song online. I use hear this songs some some 18 year back on LP record. If I remeber correctly this LP record also contain song ''Bang The Drum''. I will be greatful if u also put this song online for sampling purpose ;-)

thx one agaon for rminding me good old days

About Health Blog said...

My daughter loves this first song and yes, it's hilarious and hilariously wrong for her to be singing along.