Friday, February 17, 2006

The Opposite of Veggie Tales

Songs about vegetables. Yeah, I feel like I'm stretching too. But still, three cool songs that your little one will dig, or reject vehemently, like that lone brussel sprout staring at them from their Hello Kitty plate. A bit of useless trivia that may or may not be true: the crunching noise heard on the Beach Boys song, "Vegetables" (or veget-a-bles, as Brian sings) is Sir Paul McCartney munching on a carrot in-studio. And it should be noted that most kids like the Beach Boys (and the Beatles for that matter. My daughter informed me a few days ago that the Beatles are better than Wilco because they're funnier and then she quoted some "Yellow Submarine" lines as proof.) Oh and this version of "Vegetables" is from the Smile re-issue— it's a bit less orchestrated but still gets wacky at the end. Another kid-favorite? Jonathan Richman. You can't go wrong with him and this ditty where he sings about yes, vegetables is no less than perfection. Finally Beck's tune isn't about vegetables at all, but he does intone the veggie man at some point, so I thought I would toss it in. It's a fun hip shaker.

The Beach Boys, "Vegetables"
Jonathan Richman, "Circle I"
Beck, "Que Onda Guero"

3 comments:

heather said...

Thank you SO MUCH! I have thought myself, "Self, why does kid music suck so much?!?!" - My son (2) likes the new Jack Johnson for Curious George, and some of the African music I have posted up on my blog (he makes two little fists and kind of dances) - But I am SOOO looking forward to exploring your blog. Thank you!

Does this mean I won't get the Elmo's World song stuck in my head anymore? No? Darn.

PS - Trendy Tadpole has some cute kids clothes, I bought my son a Johnny Cash shirt there. :)

jonder said...

What a great idea for an mp3 blog! Here are two other websites with cool clothes for kids:

www.nippazwithattitude.com

www.thecradlerocks.com

Health Blog said...

Oh and this version of "Vegetables" is from the Smile re-issue— it's a bit less orchestrated but still gets wacky at the end.